Monday, May 13, 2013

Fever

 
Fever is the second book in the Breathless Trilogy by Maya Banks. I had high hopes going into this book because of my high regards for the first installment. I wasn’t disappointed....entirely. The second book follows Jace Crestwell, Gabe's business partner and Mia's elder brother, and his whirlwind romance with Bethany, a homeless girl Jace meets at a company fundraiser where she is catering. I thought the book was good, but nowhere near the standard the first book set. I didn’t really like the characters for this one. Jace was a hot-head, erratic, and impulsive. He would often overreact over the littlest things, and explode for no reason. He was also very obsessive and clingy where Bethany was concerned. Bethany, on the other hand, was quite helpless and quiet. She never really stood up for herself against Jace or asserted her independence. In all actuality, she was just as obsessive and clingy as Jace. I like a female character that is assertive and motivated. I want a character that is not afraid to go after what she wants and make it known. Bethany did not live up to those standards. I also like a male character that is dominating, but able to give people space. I like a character who can lose his head but pick it back up and admit his faults and work towards fixing them. However, these are just my preferneces, and others may enjoy these characters. Overall, it WAS a good read but not quite up to my standards. I hope the third installment is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment