Thursday, March 14, 2013

Fio Research Reading


This year I have decided to take both World Lit and Creative and Critical. Everybody thought I was crazy for it, since English doesn’t seem to be many people's strong suit. However, English is my best subject and I pride myself on my writing. For Mr. Fiorelli's research paper I have been reading books on the Mafia. I came across one particular book that really sparked my interest. It was called This Family of Mine: What it was like Growing up Gotti, By Victoria Gotti. For those of you who are not as familiar with the Italian mob, the Gottis are the family of none other than the infamous John Gotti, head of the Gambino Crime Family. My dad grew up in the Philadelphia Area and the mafia is one of our favorite bonding topics. Though neither of us agrees with the mafia as a whole, it has always sparked my interest in various ways. John Gotti was a household name for my father and me. He was also known as the Teflon Don and various other aliases for his remarkable good looks. Victoria was his most famous daughter, and the book takes you through their life as her and her siblings grew up in the shadow of their father. Eventually, John Gotti was sent to prison because of a "rat" named Sammy "The Bull" Gravano. This historical mafia event took place in the 90s and was the cover for many eastern newspapers. It was headlining news. My interest in the Mafia has always been on the dynamic side of things, like how their hierarchies are made, and what rules must be followed. I love to study the interactions of these groups and situations. They are always extremely fascinating, though sometimes horrific or crude. The book provided great insight on life in the Mafia and gave me GREAT notes for my research paper. Which, now that I think of it, I should probably start finishing!

 

1 comment:

  1. did you see the cable show a couple of year back? It was the cheesiest reality show of all time!! also, there was a miniseries with Erika Kane Susan Lucci) wild!

    ReplyDelete