Thursday, March 14, 2013

Blue Gold Fashion Show


The Blue-Gold Fashion Show has been a tradition at Saint Mark's for over thirty years now. I have been attending the show for six years now, three of them as an audience member and three as a live participator. My older brother was in the show before me and it was something I looked forward to every year. So, naturally, when I came to St. Mark's it was something I immediately tried out for. Thankfully, I made it and have participated in the show sophomore, junior, and senior year. This year will be last. I cannot describe to you how difficult it will be on Saturday night to say goodbye to a show that has given me so much through these past six years. The atmosphere and love that my peers have shown each other and the buddies is overwhelming. To see their smiles and hear their laughter is all I could ever ask for. Blue Gold is truly making a difference for those men, women, and children suffering from cognitive disabilities. I am so humbled to be a part of something so great. It is these times that I will remember for the rest of my life. I will wear the blue-gold logo, tradition, and message with me forever. We must realize that these people are just like us, and deserve to be treated as the same. Spread The Word to End the Word is making changes in our community, and I know that my peers don’t use the R-word half as much as they used to. Because finally they’ve realized that everyone deserves respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment